4. Carlos Silva is very confident, as today he verbally claimed one of the spots in the Cubs rotation. That’s strong talk for a guy who finished last season with elbow tendinitis and a 2-6 record after starting 8-0. Silva’s rotation proclamation was delayed 24 hours due to his being out sick on day one.
Pitchers and Catchers have now had two days of workouts, so after such a long stretch it’s time to draw some conclusions about Mike Quade and this years Cubs.
1. The Cubs have the shortest nickname for a Manager, heck for anyone – Q.
2. Q liked his Valentine gift – a closer.
3. Q likes to rock – Zeppelin style. OK, I’m done saying – Q.
5. Tony Thomas is not in the Cubs future plans, pitcher Robert Coello might be.
6. We’ll soon see Tyler Colvin playing first base a bit at Hohokam.
7. As exhibited by some Cubs quotes, it’s never too early to get serious. “I’ve always been kind of goofy, I guess” – Ryan Dempster. “We’re young and dumb and ready to throw strikes” – James Russell. “Just got to get goofy and have a good time” Brett Jackson. These quotations may be a bit out of context not having the surrounding comments, but who knows this may just be the attitude needed to win a Cubs World Series.
It’s been a busy two days and position players aren’t due until Friday, we can only speculate as to what revelations the next 48 hours will bring.